My Last Update to this Article was on: February 19th, 2018
A Word Of Advice
Don’t fall for pushy salespeople that will utilize the “Bait & Switch” and will charge you a premium for “rare” gold coins…unless you are looking to lose half of your investment.
Before you read my review of Checkbook IRA, click here to see why I decided to work with this other company instead.
Checkbook IRA Review
Checkbook IRA Company has been in operation for almost 10 years. The company operates nationwide in the U.S., and also claims to have over 800 clients, across 13 different countries, and to have accumulated and opened over 45,000 accounts since its inception.
This Gold IRA Company is a bit edgy. I could sense from my conversation with them and the type of comebacks the sales reps were using, that they have been trained in a very specific way. But that aside, the CheckBook IRA broker I spoke with was beyond helpful.
I mainly asked him what differentiates CheckBook IRA from other Gold 401K Companies, being that they are relatively unknown and much smaller than others in the precious metals space. For more information on the type of questions you need to ask when you call any and all Gold IRA companies, go here (I go through my top 5 questions in detail).
My Personal Opinion About CheckBook IRA Company
First off, their Website and marketing is quite ingenious. Their name “Checkbook IRA” really stands for putting clients in utter control of their finances via the many options they offer. A “CheckBook IRA LLC,” for example, gives the client complete control, without having to depend on an IRA custodian every time a withdrawal, purchase, or transfer is executed – clients can ultimately fully control their “checkbook.”
Another thing I absolutely love about CheckBook IRA is their FAQs section on their website. This is unparalleled with any other gold company’s website. It’s simple, and to the point. Just how I like it.
I didn’t like a few things though. Information about CheckBook IRA Company seems to have vanished everywhere. There is a vast amount of facts and data on their own website, but outside of it . . . close to zero. They do have an A+ rating with the BBB, but with the other entities, nothing. I’ll go more in detail below.
I Liked These Things
– They are accredited and ranked (A+) with the Better Business Bureau
– CheckBook IRA Company has one of the best websites I’ve seen out of any Gold IRA company
I Did Not Like These Things
– I can’t find any real or substantial information on CheckBook IRA
– They are not ranked or reviewed with TrustLink or with the BCA
– Their salesforce sounds a bit pushy (I don’t care so much about this but others may)
– Storage fees are really elevated: $1,500 per year (other companies charge $100/year)
Reviews, Ratings, Complaints, and Scams
Better Business Bureau
– CheckBook IRA Company has an A+ rating (perfect) with the BBB
– The Company has zero complaints filed against it with the Better Business Bureau
– Checkbook IRA has been accredited with the BBB since April, 2006.
Business Consumer Alliance
– No reviews, complaints, or rankings for CheckBook IRA with the Business Consumer Alliance.
– TrustLink, which is, together with the BCA and the BBB, one of the top ranking entities, does not have ratings for Checkbook IRA Company.
Other Reviews, Rankings, or Complaints
– There is a complete lack of information about CheckBook IRA
– No reviews, no rankings, no customer reviews. The only real information we have available about this Self Directed IRA and Gold IRA company is 1) what we see on their own website, 2) the Better Business Bureau website, and 3) what we gather by talking with them on the phone.
CheckBook IRA Company – My Final Thoughts
Yes, this Company’s sales reps are extremely knowledgeable (although really too over the top sometimes on the phone), and their website contains a wealth of fantastically useful information. CheckBook IRA Company’s FAQs section is really, very good. Even if you decide to choose another Gold 401K/IRA company, I recommend you still read it
But beyond their own information and the conversation I had with them, what else do I have to go by when I compare CheckBook IRA against the countless other companies I’ve called, researched, and seem much more established and reputable?
I think CheckBook IRA Company may be a good fit for investors looking to diversify their assets among many different companies – that way the risk is reduced to being minimal. But for large scale investments, my choice is always go with the more credible and established companies, with hundreds of reviews and feedback.
Another negative aspect about CheckBook IRA is that their processing times for Gold 401K/IRA rollovers is almost an entire month -with other companies it can be as short as 7 days. Their storage fees are also incredibly elevated: $1,500 per year. Other companies charge as low as $100 per year for storage.
What Company Did I Choose?
For the reasons above, I decided to not choose Checkbook IRA.
Instead, I decided to work with this other company.
I wrote 3 pages on all the reasons on why I decided to choose this other particular company.
In a nutshell:
They specialize in gold IRAs, they have a non-pushy sales staff, the lowest fees, the fastest processing and shipping times, segregated storage (this is a big reason), and the best (and also the most) consumer reviews.
If you would like to talk to me, I’ll be glad to help out in anyway I can. You can email me directly to email@example.com and I’ll answer personally.